It’s not easy to keep everyone happy, this we know, but does that mean you should stop trying….hell to the NO! Maybe you’re fresh out of ideas or have completely lost motivation to people please right now. Not to worry, we’ve got the lowdown on why the happiness of your employees should be your top priority. Hopefully it will make you see things in a whole new light.
Employee retention is highly important but so many companies get it soooo wrong. According to a recent survey by Glassdoor in 2017, it takes larger companies around 52 days to hire a new employee and costs them around $4000 each time. 47% of smaller business even said that there were few or no candidates available to fill open positions. With stats like that, who wants to go through the hassle of losing a great or even good employee.
Now, it may be mainly about the money and that’s pretty easy to solve, but these days a lot more people are thinking about work life balance too. We’ve all got to pay the bills so let’s be realistic, working 9-5 is not really going to change no matter how nice of an employer you are. The ultimate key to keeping your staff and running a productive business, is making work life as bearable as possible. By using the word bearable what we really mean is let’s turn this thing around and make sunshine out of those work woe tears!
Unfortunately we can’t all work at Facebook or Google but that doesn’t mean we can’t think outside of the box. Here are a few ways you can make office giggles a thing of the future….
1. Get in an interior designer to refresh your tired office and turn it in to something that could brighten up the rainiest of days. Alternatively, pop to Ikea and get some bright new furniture and a few bean bags to create a cosy corner for a more relaxed work vibe.
2. Appoint a happiness coordinator….YES, this is now a real job. Ever heard of Social Chain? They are totally changing the way workplaces should be run. If you don’t have the budget for a new headcount, then just give some extra duties to the company receptionist. Valentines day treats for everyone 😊
3. Birthday’s off! This is becoming more often in forward thinking workplaces. Who wants to work on their birthday anyway!
4. Friday Fika….very Swedish we know but it’s one of the things that we Swedes think every workplace should have. Coffee and cakes, what could be more right!
5. A time out room…now this will give you serious brownie points with your employees. Find an unused or small meeting room and convert it in to the ultimate sanctuary. Make sure there’s a bed, the key to productive work is rest and recharge after all. Don’t forget to give your employees an extra 30 min break to take advantage of that much needed chill out time.
Just a few suggestions, but even the smallest changes can make the world of difference. Remember happy staff means happy customers, which surely means you’re on the right path to happy profits too.
Read more from the Evoko blog here and find out how we can help you to make work life smoother for your company!
More from the blog…